Saturday, May 4, 2013

I believe that we always have choices

I believe that there is always a choice.  As a teacher I hear "I can't ....." several times a day.  I can't get my homework done, I can't make it to class on time, I can't wait until the dance, etc... The interesting thing is that those statements are all lies. No matter what the situation or how bad things are, there is always a choice.

The problem is the choice is often not easy to make. Right now I am struggling with the choice of getting my school work done today or leaving school to enjoy the sunshine. It seems easy to choose to leave, but the down side is I know there are people counting on me to have lessons ready for tomorrow, papers graded and in the grade book, and my other duties completed. I have spent twenty minutes feeling sorry for myself and trying to get out of my responsibilities. Had I just done what needed to be done, I would be 20 minutes closer to leaving. I think I am making the right choice to get my work done before leaving but it is not an easy choice to make.

Sometimes the consequences of a bad choice makes me think I don't have any choice at all. Last week I woke up one morning and wanted to sleep in. I felt like I had to get up and get my family ready for the day and then get myself to school, and so I made the choice to do just that.  When I look back on that situation I realize that I had a choice to go back to sleep but the consequence of choosing that was too great.  I would rather get up and take care of my family than deal with all the trouble I would be in from staying in bed.

For me, knowing I have choices and that I am in control of what I choose makes it a little easier to do what needs to be done. The fact  that I am still at school working but know that I am choosing to do this makes it tolerable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment